Aqeela's home and garden...


A blog about gardening, cooking, reading, crafting, homemaking, days out with nature, mothering and second hand brikabrak. A simple life with simple pleasures... remembering my ordinary days...

Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Market Harborough...

I'm sitting here this evening aching from head to toe but feeling very happy after today's beautiful Spring day. I haven't ached this much from physical labour for months, and four days in so much has been accomplished and I'm feeling up to date with all the Spring tasks which suddenly appear at the start of March. Its a wonderful feeling! Yesterday I said I'd share with you before and after photos of the gardening I've been doing at the front of the house, but by the time I'd finished, the car was parked in the drive and the dinner needed cooking (celeriac gratin with fish and pea's today) so I haven't got the 'after' photos yet. Tomorrow insha'Allah!

So instead I wanted to share some photos from a day out in Market Harborough back last month. It was our first time there (I'd driven through once before) and I have to say it was such a great day out for me, my Mum and D that its stayed in my head through all the weeks since. I cant wait to go back again with a bit more spending money, it has some shops which are just perfect for me, including Joules, Phase Eight, EastMonsoonWaterstones, and loads of charity shops. And not only that, but there are some really interesting buildings there, a market, and a museum which was closed for refurbishment on our visit and wont be opening again until next year. The local canal which we visit runs through the town centre too but its rather murky and not attractive at all unfortunately. I will take more photos next time we visit to show you how old and interesting the buildings are but on this day I was just wanting to take it all in and appreciate it all without looking through the lens too often.








On the way back to the car I spotted this engraved archway above a door, wouldn't it be lovely if all of our modern buildings had such a sign above their doorways? 1901 was a very different time...



During my day of gardening yesterday I listened to BBC Radio 4 from 9am to about 1pm and absolutely everything I listened to was so interesting. You can see the schedule here. Anyway, they were talking about Market Harborough and did a report from the town centre about how well its doing as a town with few shops closing down or doing badly (unlike much of the UK elsewhere), and how well kept it is. Its only a twenty or thirty minute drive from me so it could be a regular treat for us, alhamdulillah!

Back tomorrow with the before and after shots hopefully!

PS: Just found this video of a flooded Market Harborough in 1958 on YouTube.

4 comments:

  1. I've been out this afternoon in the garden too--cutting back the lavender and pulling weeds.
    The 1958 video on Market Harborough was fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a cool old black and white video! I look forward to exploring the town with you on future trips there. I'll be checking out the shop links you gave us now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent tips. Really useful stuff .Never had an idea about this, will look for more of such informative posts from your side.. Good job...Keep it up Share Tips

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of old engraved stonework, I noticed on the walk to pick my eldest up from school today that the beautiful school clock/tower was engraved and that I must remember to take some pictures, as it is a beautiful old school tower.

    After reading your post about spring gardening, youngest and I went to B&M today and bought some primrose/primulas and they are now planted and make me smile every time I look out the window and see their colours xx

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited when i see that i have a comment, its nice to know youve been reading my words,
Aqeela xx